[Dspace-general] Customized Navigation - National Library of Finland

Mark Diggory mdiggory at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 13 07:55:00 EST 2007

Pasi,

I think the community would be very interested in how you've modiied
the ArtifactBrowser.  I personally think that the ArtifactBrowser
should eventually be broken up into a few separate aspects
(CommunityViewer, CollectonViewer, ItemViewer, SearchViewer,
BrowseViewer, ... ) rather than one monolithic one. This way any
alternative solutions in those areas can evolve.

Would you be interested in contributing a page on http://
wiki.dspace.org reflecting the changes you've made?  I think this
would also make an interesting discussion on the developers list,
which your also welcome to participate in.

Cheers,
Mark

On Nov 12, 2007, at 7:52 AM, Pasi Kurvinen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Some background: Our DSpace-project in The National Library of
> Finland is
> based on a consortium model. We are using DSpace to manage and
> store our own
> documents, and we have customer organizations that use the same
> installation
> as their institutional repositories. They typically manage their
> own branch,
> beginning from a high-level community. Some organizations also
> maintain
> their own individual themes.
>
> Our customers often want to have their community separated from the
> rest of
> the site, to have a kind of web site of their own. On the other
> hand, they
> see that it is good for users to have access to rest of documents
> in site,
> too. We have modified our navigation in attempt to find a balance
> between
> these two poles. Some of our users have also complained that the
> original
> navigation was a bit difficult. To comply, we also tried to
> simplify things
> a bit.
>
> I have uploaded a few images that display the main changes we have
> made. The
> first image displays the front page (detailed explanations included
> in the
> image):
> http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/127c06fe8c.gif
>
> The second image shows browsing titles in a collection level:
> http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/d021d3d071.gif
>
> Of course, you are also welcome to visit our web site.
> https://oa.doria.fi/?locale=len
> takes you directly to the English version.
>
> If anybody is interested, we are happy to give more information.
> The changes
> mainly concern Manakin's Navigation-class under ArtifactBrowser,
> and the
> structural.xsl-file.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pasi Kurvinen

Mark R. Diggory - DSpace Systems Manager
MIT Libraries, Systems and Technology Services
Massachusetts Institute of Technology