[Dspace-general] Library catalog/repository overlap

Ingrid Mason Ingrid.Mason at vuw.ac.nz
Tue Nov 6 20:06:33 EST 2007

Hi,

I have to disagree about subject access and controlled vocabulary being
compromised in IRs.  The subject metadata you put into an IR can
essentially be whatever is deemed fit for purpose, controlled or
uncontrolled.  We are using controlled vocabulary (research codes)
across the nation here in New Zealand - see nzresearch.org

At Victoria University of Wellington we are using both the research
codes but also aim to utilise subject specific controlled vocabularies.
To wit we are using the CINAHL thesaurus for the theses and research
papers that come from our Graduate School of Nursing, Midwifery and
Health to enhance intellectual access to those resources.

The overlap of the catalogue and the IR for intellectual access is
inevitable.  If you want the most basic level of cataloguing information
then they are going to share: Author, Title, Publisher and Date.  That
that set of shared metadata might be turned into an efficient work flow
seems entirely fit.  I'm not sure why it would be helpful to have the
call number in an IR record when the item is online.  But it seems
helpful to be able to point to an item where it is available online from
a library catalogue record as they do for links to journals available
fulltext online.

At Victoria University of Wellington we are continuing to catalogue
Master and Doctorate theses as per usual but now adding a link in the
catalogue record to the item in the repository.

In terms of purpose, my personal opinion is that the library catalogue
and institutional repositories serve different purposes.  IRs if they
are open access open the metadata up for indexing by search engines and
harvesting by subject specific or open access research hubs.  They may
also offer an opportunity to add a controlled vocabulary that enhances
intellectual access in a way that is different, and complements the
library catalogue.

But hey, so nice to see this debate online!

Much of the activity is going on behind the scenes and it helps to share
information.  I guess when federated search becomes more of a reality
for more large libraries with multiple repositories of metadata then
this debate will really heat up about where to apply your valuable
cataloguing/metadata attribution resources.

Cheers, Ingrid

Digital Research Repository Coordinator
ResearchArchive at Victora: http://researcharchive.vuw.ac.nz
Victoria University of Wellington