[Dspace-general] Library catalog/repository overlap

Swarna Bandara swarna.bandara at uwimona.edu.jm
Wed Nov 7 18:28:55 EST 2007

Hi Susan & Ingrid

It is interesting to know that you do use LC headings for theses &
dissertations for IR and it is great that it can be done. I did not know
that this was possible and I think now I can see how it can be done.
However, it will involve a different workflow than we plan, as we will do
the self archiving, at least for now. We would not have the man power to
cover the task of subject metadata using LC which I believe must be done by
a librarian. We use LC in our library system and cross-walk form the
catalogue to IR can work without additional work. I have some things to work
out on the work flow. We are still at a very early stage of IR and theses
are not in the front line, because we have not been able to workout the
workflow that everybody can agree.

Ingrid I share your thoughts about the catalogue and IR serving different
purposes and IR complimenting the catalogue. Adding the call number even for
non print items can serve a purpose in that some users do search the
catalogue by call number, when they need the subject break down to follow?

We at the University of the West Indies have a long way to go, so this
discussion is helpful to me as well.

Swarna