[Dspace-general] Google search results bypass metadata records

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 21 21:30:13 EDT 2007

Hi Pat,

[snip]
> found it interesting (in the context of archival discussions about "exploding"
> the authority of the finding aid) that opening DSpace to Web 2.0 permits
> this broader, deracinated granular access.
Can I add that this wasn't made possible by fancy Web 2.0 enhancements
at all...
Google has always had the ability to walk a DSpace site right down to
the (unrestricted)
bitstreams and index whatsoever they chose... item metadata, bitstreams,
or both.
> just that (since Google is DSpace-aware) the searcher be shown how to get the
> metadata if indeed it is wanted for the searcher's purposes.
Yes that would be perfect, but Google says this would require something
in the bitstream
that they crawl that would point the user back to the higher level
record... it's not
something they're set up to do otherwise.

As Christophe says, ideally we could deal with this through http headers
or something
else that doesn't depend on the actual content being "context aware".
But no one's
figured out a good way to do that, and Google isn't that "DSpace-aware"...

MacKenzie