[Dspace-general] Google search results bypass metadata records

Christophe Dupriez christophe.dupriez at destin.be
Thu Jun 21 20:26:21 EDT 2007

Hi Pat!  (copy to Roger Costello, proposer of HTTP "Meta-Location"
header, that may help make this discussion fruitful)

I like very much your idea: for a given URL, there should be a standard
"derivation" to get its metadata / context.

In an HTML document, we could have a <LINK with rel=link type:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-links
But no "Metadata" type! May be "Index" could be used.
This document suggests to use REL="META"
http://vancouver-webpages.com/ml/draft-daviel-metadata-link-00.txt

There is also the PROFILE attribute of the <HEAD
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.4.4.3
Anyway, we mainly store PDF (and not HTML documents) and we usually
cannot change the content of the documents we receive...

I just checked and I see no HTTP verb or Header field that could carry
this "content independent" information

Idealy, "derivation" toward metadata should be done through HTTP (which
is content independent).
May be one day the ACCEPT header could contain metadata/html (instead of
text/html) to indicate that metadata is requested and not the text
(content).

People in W3C seem to discuss this:
http://osdir.com/ml/org.w3c.tag/2003-02/msg00247.html
They propose a new HTTP header: Meta-Location
http://www.xfront.com/dist-reg/distributed-registry.html
So we will see in the future versions of HTTP...

For now, does anybody controls the relation with Google so they could
add to their DSpace awareness a "Metadata" link to the document hit
indication, linking

https://pacer.ischool.utexas.edu/bitstream/2081/859/1/Arrangement.doc

https://pacer.ischool.utexas.edu/handle/2081/859

Another idea would be to link any incorrect bitstream to the metadata.
Instead of sending :

  Invalid Identifier

The identifier 2081/859/1/Arransqdsqd does not correspond to a valid
Bitstream in DSpace

we could simply show the metadata page. So any corruption to the end of
the URL would help the user by showing the metadata record.
Especially:

https://pacer.ischool.utexas.edu/bitstream/2081/859/1/
and
https://pacer.ischool.utexas.edu/bitstream/2081/859/
should return the metadata as it is usual to remove level to an URL to get an upper level Table of Content.

May be this (removing a level to an URL) could be a standard "URL based" way to go from a document to its context.
But, I know, Index is not Metadata ! To be implemented by Google? For DSpace?
For other sites, as a default generic method to contextualize a document???

Have a nice evening,

Christophe Dupriez

P.S. Mr.Costello site, XFront.com, seems packed up with interesting XSLT tutorials...