[Dspace-general] Dublin core for patents?

Y.N.Ganesh yngyani at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 26 23:33:58 EST 2007

Hi Steve,

  Dublin Core does not itself have any element for depicting Patent information,

  however a workaround is to use the relator terms as depicted in http://www.loc.gov/loc.terms/relators/PTH.

  complete list of relator terms - http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cocoon/loc.terms/relators/dc-relators.html

  more info - http://dublincore.org/usage/documents/relators/

  ps-  the other elements , which i guess can also be translated as below

  country can be the dc:coverage spatial
  patent number can be an dc:identifier

  regards,
  Ganesh

Steve Thomas <stephen.thomas at adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Hi.

  I’ve been asked to add patents to our submissions to DSpace, and this raises a question:  where in Dublin core do I put the patent details? Specifically, I have “country”, “owner” and “patent number”, and I’m not at all sure where I should put them.

  I could of course create new elements/qualifiers to hold these, but

  If anyone else has done anything with patents, I’d like to know what element/qualifiers you used for these fields.

  Thanks,
  Steve

  Stephen Thomas,
  Senior Systems Analyst,
  University of Adelaide Library
  UNIVERSITY OF ADELAIDE SA 5005 AUSTRALIA
  Phone: +61 8 830 35190
  Fax: +61 8 830 34369
  Email: stephen.thomas at adelaide.edu.au
  CRICOS Provider Number 00123M

  This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains information that may be confidential and/or copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and immediately delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.

"I haven't lost  my mind ~ it's backed up on disk somewhere!"