[Dspace-general] Question for the Librarians

Jim Ottaviani jim.ottaviani at umich.edu
Thu Feb 22 12:54:58 EST 2007

Hi Shawna,

Like Sara, I don't frame use of institutional repositories as being part
of an open access movement, or as a response to a push towards mandatory
deposit. Instead, we talk about what faculty want to accomplish with their
work, and how best to do so.

In other words, we talk about how Deep Blue (the name of our DSpace
installation/IR) is a way to help achieve their scholarly communication
goals: widest possible access, long-term preservation, and maybe even
providing peers the "director's cut" of their research. If those are
important, and they almost always are, we have common ground with faculty.

Mandatory deposit does come up, especially when the context is medical
research and the NIH grant process. So often the discussion ends up
talking about the open access...but not by name. Here again, we talk about
meeting the goals (getting the grant, for example) and not about reacting
to potential legislation or being part of a movement.

At the end of the meeting faculty may not be sold on the idea that Deep
Blue will give them what they want, but with this approach everybody
seems to get the basic idea. And at the very least they know that this
isn't a zero-sum game, with us trying to undermine the peer review
process, so nobody feels threatened.

Jim

Jim Ottaviani
+1 734-763-4835