[Dspace-general] Question for the Librarians

Sara Fuchs libsnf at langate.gsu.edu
Thu Feb 22 11:42:42 EST 2007

Hi Shawna,
We're still in the pilot phase of our institutional repository, and
I've only just begun talking to faculty members about it. I try to steer
clear of the "open access" debate, if I can, and instead try to refer to
our repository as a "digital archive." I talk more about preservation of
digital materials, with access being a nice side benefit, because I
think that's a bigger draw, and more and more people are experiencing
the problem of not being able to open their digital files. But it's
funny - at a University Senate Research Committee meeting, one faculty
member tried to accuse me of personally engineering the death of peer
review. At another meeting, the very same faculty member asked if he
could use the repository as a place to store data sets, if it became a
mandate to make that research publicly accessible. So I'm hoping more
faculty members will see our IR as a solution to that problem, as
opposed to, well, another problem.
Hope that helps! I'd be interested to see any other responses you might
get.

Best regards,

Sara Fuchs
Digital Technologies Librarian