[Dspace-general] why vanilla?

Michele Kimpton michele at dspace.org
Thu Dec 13 11:06:15 EST 2007

> Dear DSpace community,
>
> The Foundation is trying to put a list together of most recent DSpace
> sites, so we can highlight these on our website and quantify for
> others what it takes to get a DSpace site up and running from a
> technical and non technical point of view.  If you have recently
> launched a "vanilla" installation of DSpace please let us know.

Why is a "vanilla" site the benchmark, when hardly anyone is content
with that? A realistic cost/time estimate needs to include design and
customization work.

Dorothea

Hi Dorothea,

I get many requests from organizations evaluating DSpace wanting to
know the level of effort to install right out of the box, without
making any customizations.  It is not a BENCHMARK but a BASELINE. If
you would like to help us identify all the useful and important
customizations and the level of effort required I welcome your
input.  The Foundation is just in the stages of getting a team
together so we can put process and support in to represent the total
needs of the community to be successful running DSpace.  However, we
need the help of the community to do this .  Given your experience,
passion and know how it would be great if you could work with us in a
positive fashion.

Michele Kimpton
Executive Director DSpace Foundation