[Dspace-general] how to do multi language in DSpace

Mark Diggory mdiggory at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 18 10:38:59 EDT 2006

Follow the details on installing the language packs in DSpace,

http://wiki.dspace.org/I18nSupport
http://dspace.cvs.sourceforge.net/dspace/language-packs/readme.txt?
revision=1.1.1.1&view=markup

The trick these sites employ to allow language switching is to use
javascript to change the locale of the page being requested:

                     <a class ="langChangeOn"

onclick="javascript:document.repost.locale.value='en';
                        document.repost.submit();">

                     Englisch
                     </a> &nbsp;

                     <a class ="langChangeOn"

onclick="javascript:document.repost.locale.value='de';
                        document.repost.submit();">
                     Deutsch
                     </a> &nbsp;'

Cheers,
Mark Diggory

On Jul 18, 2006, at 6:37 AM, Thierry Prieur wrote:

> We try to add a multi-language function in our DSpace.
>
> It seems that it's possible to have a real multi-language tool in
> DSpace, as you can see on these following web sites:
> - https://bora.uib.no
> - https://eldorado2.uni-dortmund.de/dspacelang/
>
> When users switch the languages, we want these changes:
> - Change the interface language (messages.properties file)
> - Change in the input form language(inputforms.xml file)
> - Change the email templates (folder config/emails/)
> - Change some layout parts (footer, right sidebar, …)
> - change the help language (optional)
>
> If you have, it would be great to receive a fully procedure to
> install this on our DSpace.
>
> Thanks for your response!
>

> Thierry Prieur
> Project Manager
> Sciences Po Paris
>
> --

Mark R. Diggory
DSpace Systems Manager
MIT Libraries, Systems and Technology Services
Massachusetts Institute of Technology