[Dspace-general] DSpace assetstore

Tansley, Robert robert.tansley at hp.com
Tue Jan 17 14:56:20 EST 2006

Hi Grant,

For future reference, the 'dspace-tech' list
(https://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=19984) is probably the best
forum for mails of a technical nature like this.

> I have withdrawn(and expunged) ALL of my test communities and
> Collections.
> Organizing the archivists to "build" their space.
> However - "old" documents, images etc...still exist in the
> ../dspace/assetstore.

When a bitstream is 'deleted' in DSpace, it's actually just tagged
'deleted'; the original file isn't immediately removed from the file
system.  This allows 'rollback' functionality and is intended to help
prevent some nasty mistakes being made!

In order to actually delete files, the 'cleanup' script (by default,
/dspace/bin/cleanup) should be run.  This should clear out the 'deleted'
files.  If desired, this can be configured to run automatically every
night, weekend, month etc. as a 'cron' job on Unix/Linux or a Scheduled
Task on Windows XP.

 Robert TANSLEY / HP Labs / MIT Visiting Researcher
 http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Robert_Tansley/