[Dspace-general] author bios and pictures

Eric Lease Morgan emorgan at nd.edu
Wed Jan 18 08:23:58 EST 2006

On Jan 17, 2006, at 6:02 PM, Jennifer Ward wrote:

> If I'm not mistaken, Rochester had a way of creating "faculty"
> pages that
> were populated with works in DSpace and had a photo, bio, etc. I don't
> know that their implementation was ever put back into the DSpace
> code, but
> Susan should be able to clear up any misconceptions I have.
>
> Jennifer Ward
> Head, Web Services
> Information Technology Services
> University of Washington Libraries
> phone: 206.685.3121

Thank you for the reply.

Yep, yesterday I chatted with a man named Nathan Sarr of Rochester
who described their solution.

If I am not mistaken, Nathan wrote a sort of add-on to DSpace. It
allows authors to fill in a Web form complete with photograph and
links. He saves this content in the DSpace database. He then provides
a URL for people to access that returns the photograph and links as a
nicely formatted HTML page. See:

   https://urresearch.rochester.edu/researcher?
action=viewResearcherPage&researcherId=5
   http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?
func=detail&aid=1338741&group_id=19984&atid=319984

Since we are weak on Java skills, I think we are going to take a
different tack. Specifically, we will either:

   1. Create "authority" files in DSpace and denote them as such with
locally developed tags saved in subject fields.

   2. Alternatively, we will create a system much like Nathan's but
use MyLibrary as the back-end.

In either case we will then harvest the content from DSpace using OAI
and cache it centrally to our MyLibrary database. We will then
syndicate the content from the MyLibrary to many different venues
formatted in a variety of ways.

In-house software development is a good thing. It empowers people.

Again, thanks for the pointer.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
Head, Digital Access and Information Architecture Department

(574) 631-8604