[Dspace-general] DSpace Dublin Core and pedagogy questions

Louise Ratliff lratliff at library.ucla.edu
Wed Apr 26 15:16:04 EDT 2006

Hello all,

  I would like to know if anyone on this list has worked with Dublin
Core metadata elements and the DSpace DC Application Profile, applying
it to learning materials.  Specifically, I would like any advice on
where to include vocabulary terms which describe the educational level,
difficulty, assessment, etc. aspects of learning objects.
  I realize that the DC element set does now include some of these
(audience and instructional method), but some are not explicitly
defined (e.g., difficulty; learning outcomes).  My first idea is to
either just include them in Description, or create specific local
refinements of Description.  That way, the OAI harvesters would simply
put the terms there, and they could be keyword searchable.  Does anyone
else have a better idea?
  Also, in terms of thesauri for the vocabulary terms, my thinking is
to use the ones developed by GEM (the Gateway to Educational
Materials).  Would a different one be more widely recognized, such as
ERIC?
  This needs to be pretty simplistic, since the metadata will be
generated by the submitters and probably not be edited subsequently.
  Thanks,
Louise