[Dspace-general] Re: Question from IEEE Spectrum article

Tansley, Robert robert.tansley at hp.com
Tue Jul 26 11:43:33 EDT 2005

> I based the scenario on some planning that we did here at MIT
> awhile back
> on how we would want to handle multiple versions, either
> because an author
> deposited a new version or because a curator created one for
> preservation
> purposes. We would add the new version as a new bitstream on
> the existing
> DSpace item record, then change the UI to make it clear which
> version is
> preferred. This wouldn't be hard to do, but there are no
> tools in DSpace
> right now that do exactly this procedure.

Actually DSpace's Media Filter tool can already do the bare bones of
this -- in general it's used for auto-generating thumbnails and
extracting full-text for searching but these are essentially format
migrations.  It's far from perfect -- for example, there's no way to
realistically audit the migrations, and the process has to be managed by
a system administrator rather than an archival curator (at the moment,
those roles are pretty blurred).

 Robert TANSLEY / Digital Media Systems Programme / HP Labs
  http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Robert_Tansley/