[Dspace-general] ETDs and Communities in DSpace

Scott P. Muir smuir1 at emich.edu
Wed Jul 13 17:01:43 EDT 2005

We are in the early stages of creating a repository of Theses and
Dissertations.  I am trying to develop an analysis of our options for
organizing materials, especially with an end-user approach.

My reference librarians advise that most students come in and ask to
see all the (print) thesis written by students in a particular
discipline, e.g. Biology, History, etc.  If we chose a "communities"
structure model that is based on our Colleges and Departments
structure that would readily address that issue. However, it could
also create a situation where in the initial stages of this work, one
might find only one thesis in the History repository, which might not
look so good.  On the other hand, if we collected all the thesis into
a single "thesis" community, then it becomes harder for the History
or Biology department to claim those publications as part of their community.

As we weigh the pros and cons of the possible approaches, and there
are likely others, I thought perhaps many of you had already
addressed these questions.  Would anyone out there be willing to
share their thoughts, the options you considered and why you chose
one particular model over another?  I do realize that this is a
question for which there is not a right or wrong answer, but I would
be interested in what your processes were.

My thinking has even led me to ask who is the end user?  Is it a
community or is it what we librarians consider our typical library
patron, Designing for these two different communities could have
different outcomes too.

Anyway thank you for any assistance you can offer.

Scott P Muir
Associate University Librarian
Bruce T. Halle Library, Room 200F
Eastern Michigan University