[Dspace-general] Re: Dspace-general Digest, Vol 18, Issue 15

Sam Kalb Kalbs at post.queensu.ca
Wed Jan 26 12:07:51 EST 2005

Hi MacKenzie,
Your suggestion for linking versions is a good one.  However, for
repositories to remain viable, we must make the posting of new versions as
easy as possible for contributors.  A contributor should not have to
re-enter the same metadata and the backward links to older versions
manually when loading a new version of a paper.
Sam

>Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:52:14 -0500
>From: MacKenzie Smith <kenzie at MIT.EDU>
>To: John Preston <john.preston at uwimona.edu.jm>, dspace-general at MIT.EDU
>Subject: Re: [Dspace-general] Ability to replace existing items
>

>Yes! And this is possible to do now within the metadata (i.e. forward and
>backward links
>to new/old versions using their Handles, and with the default being the
>latest).
>Hopefully a future version of DSpace will handle versions more elegantly in
>the UI,
>but the basic concept of multiple versions all being accessible is one that
>I really like.
>
>MacKenzie
>
>At 08:41 AM 1/26/2005 -0500, John Preston wrote:
> >Wouldn't a good compromise be to have some versioning info with objects
> >that would indicate that this is a more recent version of an original
> >and possibly some info on when it was checked in, etc.
> >
> >We have the need for this with LO's
> >
> >John

Sam Kalb
Library Assessment & IT Projects Coordinator,
Queen's University Libraries
Kingston, Ontario, Canada  K7L 5C4
Phone: (613) 533-2830; Fax: (613) 533-6362
Email: kalbs at post.queensu.ca