[Dspace-general] excellent article on populating IRs

Rea Devakos rea.devakos at utoronto.ca
Wed Jan 26 11:18:35 EST 2005

Hi everyone

Apologies for the cross posting, but I wanted to alert you to an
excellent article in the current D-Lib:

Understanding Faculty to Improve Content Recruitment for Institutional
Repositories <dlib/january05/foster/01foster.html>
by Nancy Fried Foster and Susan Gibbons, University of Rochester

http://www.dlib.org/dlib/january05/foster/01foster.html

Here's an excerpt:

Rather than approach faculty with a set, one-size-fits-all promotional
spiel, these library liaisons operate under the guidance that a
personalized, tailored approach works best. As we learned from the
work-practice study, what faculty members care most about is their
research. Expressing interest in their research, for example by reading
a recent article by the faculty member prior to the meeting and then
asking a couple of questions about the work, will get their attention
and will usually stimulate a very enthusiastic conversation. Throughout
the conversation, the library liaison is listening for opportunities to
demonstrate how the benefits of the IR respond directly to the faculty
member's web-related research needs. For example, when the faculty
member relates frustration over a broken website link, the library
liaison can explain that each document in the IR has a unique and stable
URL.

By contrast to the language previously used to describe the features and
benefits of the IR, we are now describing the IR in language drawn from
faculty interviews. Thus, we tell faculty that the IR will enable them
to...

    * Make their own work easily accessible to others on the web through
      Google searches and searches within the IR itself
    * Preserve digital items far into the future, safe from loss or damage
    * Give out links to their work so that they do not have to spend
      time finding files and sending them out as email attachments
    * Maintain ownership of their own work and control who sees it
    * Not have to maintain a server
    * Not have to do anything complicated

Rea

--