[Dspace-general] Google Scholar & DSpace Google

Martin Courtois courtois at ksu.edu
Thu Jan 13 12:17:00 EST 2005

I guess I need to ask a few questions before I can respond to
MacKenzie's question about pulling the plug on DSpace Google.

Is the plan that only Google Scholar will contain content from DSpace
sites or will DSpace content also be available by searching "regular"
Google?

I don't know much about DSpace Google, but it sounds like the idea was
for Google to take steps _not_ to crawl DSpace sites other than the 17
participating institutions?  If that is the case, I'm a bit surprised
that Google contains DSpace content from other institutions, such as
this dissertation from University of MD:

Cultural Intervention, Activist Art and Discourses of Oppositionality in
the US, 1980-2000

At this point, is Google crawling any/all DSpace sites, just like any
other web site?

Marty

Martin Courtois
Instructional Technology Assistance Center
509 Hale Library
Kansas State University
Manhattan KS 66506
courtois at ksu.edu