[Dspace-general] Google Scholar & DSpace Google

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 13 11:30:24 EST 2005

Hi Scott,

I apologize, with all the hoopla over Google Scholar I'd sort of forgotten
about our little experiment with Google...
if I haven't already said this out loud, let me know say that I think we
should collectively bail on the DSpace Google
experiment -- Google Scholar is far more useful and includes all of our
content anyway (or will eventually as they
keep crawling).

For the present time, limiting search result to a small subset of DSpace
sites (17 out of more than 70) is pretty useless for users.
If we decided to continue with the DSpace Google thing then at that very
least we'd need to include all the DSpace repositories
so that we get closer to the 80,000+ items of content that are out there.

But as I say, Google Scholar looks to be the far more useful service down
the road. The only change I've asked them for
that would make a big difference is some way to easily distinguish open
access from commercial results.

What do others think? Time to pull the plug on DSpace Google?

MacKenzie