[Dspace-general] DSpace and image Content Delivery Query

Carl Jones carlj at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 15 13:44:30 EDT 2005

Hi,

Is  anyone thinking about doing more work with the DSpace presentation
layer to make it more user friendly for image content delivery, in
particular for art images?

I've found a couple of DSpace sites with images, for example, the
Australian National University, but there are probably more.

At present, by design, compared with tools such as CONTENTdm or
ARTstor, DSpace lacks such features as support for metadata beyond
Dublin Core, no "My Favorites" type virtual collections, side-by-side
image comparisons, JPEG2000 support, etc.).

I understand DSpace 2.* will be more modular and may more easily allow
working towards integrating these kinds of functionality.

Or are sites mostly contemplating using it as a back-end to some other
system for handling images?

On a side-note, is anyone thinking about using it as a back-end
repository for the Greenstone digital library software
(www.greenstone.org) which now has Dspace import/export functionality?

I apologize  if this has been discussed already (I did do a quick
search through the archives).

Thanks.

Carl

Carl Jones