[Dspace-general] DSpace and authority/headings control

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Sun Nov 28 14:44:23 EST 2004

Hi Wayne,

At MIT we do not review the metadata supplied by depositors, but some of it
comes from our own OPAC
(if it was a collection that happened to be cataloged by the library) and
so has had authority control done.
Other institutions I know of are doing more reviewing and editing, so
hopefully they'll speak up for
themselves about how they're handling that.

In the future we at MIT hope to do some development work on automated
authority control, working with
OCLC and local name authority files, but I couldn't say when we might get
to that. It's possible that
another institution will decide to tackle it before we do, and that should
hopefully cut down on how much
reviewing and editing by library staff is needed.

Best wishes,

MacKenzie