[Dspace-general] DSpace and authority/headings control

Wayne Jones jonesw at post.queensu.ca
Tue Nov 23 08:46:45 EST 2004

We're just in the process of setting up our DSpace-based repository at Queen's University, and we are thinking of basic issues such as workflow, accuracy and consistency of metadata, and authority control. I've found a few documents here and there on some DSpace sites dealing with the issue, but I'd be interested to hear about other libraries' policies and practices.

Do you have a procedure in place so that the metadata input by submitters is reviewed by library (or other) staff -- and, if so, does that review entail standard authority control practices used in libraries, such as checking authoritative sources and thesauri for forms of headings?

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne Jones
Head, Central Technical Services