[Dspace-general] restricting access to a collection by IP

kellyb@msnotes.wustl.edu kellyb at msnotes.wustl.edu
Wed Nov 17 11:50:06 EST 2004

A group has asked if it's possible to restrict access to a community or
collection by IP. While that seems to fly in the face of open access these
folks want to use the repository for their own class work, limiting access
to members of the class or program. As far as I can tell this isn't doable.
I believe we'd need to define a group, have them each register and then put
the registered individuals into the group and set access policies for the
group.

However, that presents another problem. Is there a way for the
dspace/community/collection manager(s) to be notified when someone
registers? Does the registration process need to be modified locally to
enable this or to allow the person registering to send an email to the
admin at the same time asking to be put into a particular group?

We're still learning v1.2, having tested the earlier versions for a year or
so. If the answers are obvious and I've overlooked them, my apologies.
However, if others have faced and addressed these issues I'd appreciate
your sharing how you managed them.

Betsy Kelly
Assesssment & Evaluation Liaison, MidContinental Regional Medical Library
and
Associate Director for Instructional Technologies & Library Systems
Becker Medical Library
Box 8132
660 S. Euclid Avenue
St. Louis MO 63110