[Dspace-general] restricting access to a collection by IP

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 17 15:21:11 EST 2004

Hi Betsy,

You are correct: access control is based on authenticated individuals (i.e.
either by logon/password or digital certificate).
The usual model is to register everyone who is allowed to have access to
the collection, put them in a group, and assign
read permission for the collection to that group. And if fact, to limit
access to the registered students in a course that's
exactly the sort of thing you'd need to do... limiting by IP simply won't
work for that case.

With some programming you could probably change the system to
add/update/delete e-people on the basis of data from
your registrar's database, but otherwise the DSpace system administrator
would probably have to do that (end users
can't register themselves now, except to subscribe to collections in order
to get notified of new additions). And I don't
believe the system currently notifies anyone when a new e-person is
added... it's assumed that the system administrator
is doing the adding and the group assignment centrally.

Hope this helps,

MacKenzie