[Dspace-general] Collection "Editors"

Laura Tull tull.9 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 16 08:40:56 EST 2004

Hi Marty!

I've just been experimenting with collection administrator role in DSpace
1. 2.  Yes, the group name is COLLECTION_XX_ADMIN where XX is the DB no.
assigned to that collection.

I was trying to figure out the policies for each of the functions that
collection administrators can perform are here is what my experimentation
shows:

1. Edit submitters and Edit metadata - If you use the new Create Collection
wizard, and select "This collection will have delegated collection
administrators", the system automatically assigns the policy
"COLLECTION_ADMIN" to the group "COLLECTION_XX_ADMIN". This allowed the
group to "Edit Submitters" and "Edit metadata".
2. Item mapper - I had to manually add a policy of "ADD" for the group to
make this work.
3. Withdraw items - I had to manually add a policy for "REMOVE" to make
this work.
4. Edit collection metadata - Even though the documentation says you can do
this, I haven't figured out a policy that would work for this. Not sure if
documentation doesn't match what system does. The Admin help on a
collection page in DSpace 1.2 does not mention this fourth function so I
have assumed it didn't quite get incorporated. If anyone knows any
different, let me know.

At 04:51 PM 11/15/2004 -0600, Martin Courtois wrote:
>Is the "collection editor" role the same as the group
>"COLLECTION_[Collection Name]_ADMIN" within the Group Editor?
>
>The DSpace System Documentation: Version History/Changes in DSpace
>1.2/Admininstration mentions a "collection editor" role:
>
>"Delegated administration - new 'collection editor' role - edits item
>metadata, manages submitters list, edits collection metadata, links to
>items from other collections, and can withdraw items."
>
>I'd to establish a group that has administrative rights only within a
>specific collection.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Marty
>
>Martin Courtois
>Instructional Technology Assistance Center
>509 Hale Library
>Kansas State University
>Manhattan KS 66506
>courtois at ksu.edu