[Dspace-general] DSpace data model

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 23 10:24:55 EDT 2004

Hi Michel,

I'll try to answer this simply, and not too technically, since this is the
general interest list. If you want the gory technical details we should
take this discussion to the dspace-tech list instead.

-- Caveat: this answer is true for the 1.x releases only. The new 2.0
architecture being designed now by the DSpace developer community has the
concept of Archival Information Packages (AIPs from the OAIS reference
framework for digital archiving) which would replace bundles completely.

-- The information architecture of Communities, Collections, Items,
Bundles, and Bitstreams has always existed in the DSpace database tables.
What we're discussing here is the degree to which the user interfaces makes
it possible to put files into different bundles and treat them differently
for display or other processing. What I will describe is how DSpace works
*by default*, with the understanding that other solutions are possible with
some local programming work.

-- In older versions of DSpace (prior to the current 1.2 release) the
submission user interface automatically assigned all bitstreams to separate
bundles and they were all treated the same in the end user interface. So
the existence of bundles in the information architecture wasn't really
being supported.

-- In the 1.2 release the concept of "named" bundles was introduced to
handle the case of thumbnail versions of digital images, and full-text
versions of documents (for indexing). In order to have separate named
bundles for items, the submission UI was changed to put all the submitted
bitstreams together into one bundle by default and to automatically create
the separate thumbnail or full-text bundle as appropriate (i.e. the
opposite behavior from before).

-- This means that there is currently no way *in the submission UI* to
assign different uploaded files to different bundles. If you needed to do
that, you would have to change the submission UI to support it. This means
that the example I gave before (i.e. you want two bundles -- one for the 10
TIFF images, and one for the PDF version) is *not* supported in the current
UI, but it *is* supported in the underlying database tables -- you would
just need to invent names for the new bundles, some way to assign uploaded
files to the each bundle type, and some way for the public UI to know what
to do with the different bundles (for example, display the PDF version, but
suppress the TIFF version since browsers can't do anything with them).

I hope this is clear... it's pretty complicated stuff.

MacKenzie

kenzie at mit.edu