[Fwd: Re: [Dspace-general] Fwd: Validation.]

ajh@cvt.dk ajh at cvt.dk
Thu Jul 1 17:47:42 EDT 2004

Hi, Sidney,

I do not yet know the Greenstone archiving system, but do work with
Dspace.

Do I understand right - you ask for a program/solution that can get the
two systems to talk together, possibly exchange data (meta-data and
digital objects - collections ...)?

If I understand right, you can export METS-package from DSpace.
Unfortunatelly there is no METS importer, but we, from the Technical
University of Denmark, are interested in this import feachure too. The
question is now, if Greenstone supports METS.

To the discussion with Mr. Dauphin: If there should be made any
comparison between archiving systems by or for UNESCO, one should
certainly look at the Fedora work from Cornell, as another candidate.
(sorry to the MIT people...)
In my opinion, using Dspace for learning object repositry does have a
weak point - yet - the fact that it is rather difficult to change:  a)
the metadata field set
  b) the workflow for collecting the metadata.
The first is rather difficult to solve but is demonstrated in the EUL
extention by Thesis Alive. The second you can solve by batch importing,
hopefully soon METS-importing and such like.
PS: Hope this helps you - will keep in touch regarding the FOSS
discussion when I did my basic investigations.
(Al)Fred
Center for Knowledge Technology