[Dspace-general] Preservation and presentation formats

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 20 15:03:58 EST 2004

Hi Michele,

So far this hasn't been a big issue for us at MIT (or many of the other
institutions I've spoken to) because they tend to get the deliverable
version from the author/submitter (e.g. faculty member) and if there is a
preservation format version at all it's been created by the repository as
part of the ingest process so *both* versions are kept in DSpace -- the
first because it's what was deposited and the second for long-term
preservation.

But if *you* generate the deliverable version then it seems reasonable to
me to serve it out of a different system (especially when there are
different service requirements for deliverable and archival versions). For
example, we'll archive locally created learning objects in our DSpace, but
probably deliver them to students via a repository local to the course
management system and so they could well be in different formats. The trick
is to make sure the two versions are linked via metadata, especially from
the deliverable version back to the archival master.

MacKenzie