[Dspace-general] DSpace with LMS-LCMS

John Norman john at caret.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 22 09:36:48 EST 2004

At Cambridge we are using CourseWork from Stanford
University. The original code is available at http://
getcoursework.stanford.edu and our port from Oracle to
PostgreSQL is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/
coursework/

However, CourseWork has not been internationalised so it may
not be suitable for your requirements.

You may want to take a look at .LRN which is growing in
adoption and has been internationalised (http://openacs.org/
projects/dotlrn/). This is a powerful suite based on the
OpenACS community toolkit and is has a very active
development community.

Another project I know less about is Claroline. This is a PHP/
MySQL system that is popular in Europe and has also been
internationalised since inception (http://www.claroline.net/)

A project to watch is SAKAI (http://www.sakaiproject.org)
which will be powerful in terms of features and scalability.
Although it is unlikely to be internationalised in its first
release, there is a partner program and internationalisation
might even be a project that would attract grant funding.

Finally, I don't think any of the open source projects currently
interfaces to DSpace. We believe that the way forward is
through the IMS Digital Repository specification, but that
needs some development and there are other possible
interfaces depending on the use cases you are trying to
support. I think there will be progress in this area over the
coming 12 months. One of these will be JSR 168/WSRP and the
adoption of JSR168 by uPortal for uPortal 3.0 as part of the
SAKAI project will give this additional momentum.

I hope this helps and I would be keen to hear from anyone
with differing/additional comments.

John Norman
CARET, University of Cambridge