[Dspace-general] Does a custom document lifecycle feature exist in dspace?

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 8 04:04:31 EST 2004

Hi Simon,

Discussions of workflow in the context of DSpace relate to the steps
involved in depositing an item
(e.g. provide content + metadata, check the metadata for accuracy or add
more of it, check the quality
of the content, check the accuracy of the content from a
technical/preservation perspective, maybe
do some normalization of the content, etc.) Different institutions, and
different communities within
institutions, make very different choices about these steps and need to
configure the system
differently to support them.

When I think about document lifecycles I'm usually thinking of the entire
life of the document,
from creation, to deposit in DSpace, to management over time (e.g.
preservation format
migrations), to destruction in those cases where that is necessary. So the
DSpace workflow
is not that, and there isn't really much in DSpace now that handles
lifecycle management as
I've just defined it -- there will be more management and preservation
tools as time goes by,
and maybe eventually some records management tools (including destructors),
but no one
has really had the need to implement any of that yet.

I hope that answers your question, and if you had something different in
mind for document
lifecycles please feel free to amplify (and if you have any use cases or
other requirements for
lifecycle events I'd love to see them).

MacKenzie