[Dspace-general] Does a custom document lifecycle feature exist in dspace?

Simon Mackey simon.mackey at o2.ie
Mon Dec 6 11:59:59 EST 2004

Hi there,
I've been having a look through the mailing list archives to see if anyone
has come up with a customisation that would allow custom document lifecycles
to be defined in dspace. At the moment, it seems that it's a hard-coded
lifecycle (is this correct?) as far as I can tell. I saw on this post
(http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=9812758) that
apparently "there's lots of discussion about work various people have done
to edit the workflow and the issues they've faced", but I can't seem to find
any. Also, are we talking about the same thing when I say 'document
lifecycle' and others say 'workflow'?

So, I just thought I'd ask the mailing list if anyone has in fact
implemented dspace with a fully customisable document lifecycle
module/add-on? I understand, from a dspace admin that I talked to, that
dspace is only really meant to be a digital library and not a collaborative
environment (which is what I'm looking for). We want our users to be able to
collaborate on documents from start (initial ideas) to finish (final
publication), and all the stages inbetween that are different for each
person, hence the need for custom lifecycles. Maybe I'm in the wrong place
for that and the dspace vision doesn't include that?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks,
simon