[Dspace-general] Any limits to number of collections per community?

MacKenzie Smith kenzie at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 7 22:22:32 EST 2004

Laura,

>Is there a limit to the number of collections per community?

None in theory.

>Is there a limit to the number of characters in the introduction section
>of the collection home page?

This is bounded by the database you're using, and how large a field can be.
Pretty big, but not infinite.
Ask your programmer for details.

>I'm experimenting with putting a journal into DSpace using name of the
>journal as community and volume and issue for each collection. I'm using
>the introduction area on the collection home page to mimic the look of
>OhioLINK's Electronic Journal Center:
>https://linux02.it.ohio-state.edu/dspace/handle/1811/189 (this is on our
>development server). We have metadata that we plan to map to Dublin Core
>and then hopefully map some fields to HTML to obtain the OhioLINK EJC look.
>
>Knowing the limits will help me decide if we can actually have one issue
>per collection or if I need to go to one volume per collection. This
>journal has over 400 issues.

This should work, but the devil is in the details so you'll find out when
you try...

Best,

MacKenzie

MacKenzie Smith