[Dspace-general] Re: Using DSpace to store URI

Scott Yeadon scott.yeadon at anu.edu.au
Wed Dec 8 17:25:30 EST 2004

John,

You may be better off having an index at the collection level with
hyperlinks to all the servlets URIs, this would be easier to maintain,
and is separated from the DSpace object itself and doesn't need any
specific handling code. It means the user has to go the the collection
to find the list and navigate to the servlet, but that may be a minor
disadvantage.

If you store the URI as an item of metadata (e.g. location), you might
not render a link (since you need to know the object is one which you
want to render a link for or make a proprietary metadata field to store
this in order to render it differently) and simply add text to the
collection page that lets users know that copying the URI into their
browser will take them to the site if available.Note if you store URIs,
it adds a bit of maintenance overhead whenever the location changes.

If you want the user to click on the title in the browse window to be
taken to the site, then you'll have cater for this behaviour as a
special case. This probably isn't a good idea since it reduces the
generic nature of the object handling - even if you handled all servlets
in the repository the same way you would need to cater for servlets
which no longer or never had a site, any special access for internal
servlets, etc. If you do want to have specific behaviours fro particular
objects, then it is worth thinking about doing this within a generic
framework otherwise you'll probbaly find yourself battling with various
hacks as your repository grows and many more "special cases"  emerge.

Scott.