[Dspace-general] Call for Presenters for upcoming ETIG Program

Nelson, Rose Nelson_R at cde.state.co.us
Mon Aug 30 16:18:12 EDT 2004

Hello, my name is Rose Nelson and I am the Chair-Elect for the LITA
Emerging Technologies Interest Group. I am responsible for developing a
program for the annual ALA conference in 2005. After going to the Top
Tech Trends session at ALA 2004 and thinking about technologies on the
horizon, I thought it would be interesting to plan a program on digital
respositories. I'm hoping that some of you can either put me in contact
with potential presenters, or that you would be willing to present at
the program.

The program that I am proposing will look at a couple of different
digital repositories and draw some comparisons and differences among
them. The topics that I was planning to cover include definition of a
digital repository, type of software that is used, digital objects that
might be found in a repository, issues surrounding access and retrieval,
and policies. This might be too much to cover in one session, but I
figure I can narrow it down once I talk to the experts on this topic.
I'm also not glued to any particular topic listed above, but wanted to
gather some ideas to get started.

I would like for the program to be of interest to academic and public
libraries so I am also planning to get a speaker to talk about
WebJunction a new online community for libraries--primarily public
libraries are using the national WebJunction Community-- where they have
access to resources that have been created for and by library staff
throughout the country. (http://www.webjunction.org). WebJunction is
also a repository of online learning and message board forums. It's
quite different in content than traditional repositories, but I think
some of the same concepts may apply --creating policies, digital rights
management, standards, etc.

I am wondering if you, or someone on your team will be attending ALA
2005 and would be intersted in being on a panel of speakers that
discusses digital repositories. If this is something that you or your
staff cannot engage in, is there someone you would recommend I contact
that could possibly be a presenter on this topic? I would like to start
pulling together a list of speakers. Thanks for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Rose

Rose Nelson
Technology Consultant