[Dspace-general] Call for use cases

Tansley, Robert robert.tansley at hp.com
Fri Aug 27 16:23:53 EDT 2004

It's become clear that the simple DSpace 1.2 data model (bundles, bitstreams and bitstream formats) isn't sufficient for many purposes, particularly preservation.  I'm currently thinking about how the data model can be evolved to address preservation needs better.

As part of this process I'm gathering use cases.  These use cases are focussed on the sort of content that may be stored, and what sort of supporting information (representation information) ideally needs to be stored with it in order to keep it usable in the future (by migration or emulation etc).  Aspects such as how the information is captured or submission workflows are out of scope.

I've started a page on the DSpace Wiki (a sort of group scratchboard) which anyone can sign up to and add to.  I'd like to invite any interested parties to sign up and add or annotate any use cases on the following page:

http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/AssetStoreUseCases

I look forward to your participation!  Many thanks,

 Robert Tansley / Digital Media Systems Programme / HP Labs
  http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Robert_Tansley/