[Dspace-general] Migrating materials from current to new release of DSpace

Richard Rodgers rrodgers at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 28 13:12:05 EDT 2004

Hi Suzanne:

There might be some terminological issues here, but I think the answer
is yes, you can deposit within the current DSpace and reorganize it under
DSpace 1.2. What I mean by terminological is this: DSpace 1.2 supports
the notion of 'sub-communities', not sub-collections, but they could amount
to the same thing under some circumstances of use.

Here's an example of what I mean:

Let's say you have (in DSpace 1,1) a community 'A' with collections A1 A2 & A3,
and a community 'B' with collections B1, B2, and B3. Using a tool provided
with 1.2 you will be able to make B a sub-community of A, which means that A
now effectively has 6 collections, A1-A3, and B1-B3 on 2 'levels'. If this is
what you want, then you can go ahead with creating the B collections, in the
knowledge that they can later be put 'under' A.

What you cannot do with 1.2 is define a sub-collection of A1 - A1sub1, ie.a
collection within a collection.

Let me know if this doens't address your question.

Thanks,

Richard Rodgers
DSpace Federation Systems Manager