[Dspace-general] data sets - metadata

Katherine McNeill-Harman mcneillh at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 20 13:20:27 EDT 2003

Hi everyone,

This is a great discussion, and I too am particularly interested in this
subject.  I'm the Data Services Librarian here at MIT, and have been
discussing issues particular to data sets with others (here & at other
institutions).  For one perspective, I did a poster session on this topic
at this year's meeting of IASSIST (the International Association for Social
Science Information Service and Technology), see
http://macfadden.mit.edu:9500/presentations/iassist/.

Following are some thoughts on this specific issue.  First, though, are
there others on the list interested in discussing data set issues on an
ongoing basis?  I've discussed with others the possibility of establishing
a separate email list on the topic, if there's enough interest.  Let me
know if you would find this valuable, or if you'd rather just keep the
discussion on the general list for now.

Regarding this issue, Suzanne brought up a good standard that we're looking
at.  However, as was discussed, there are two kinds of metadata we're
discussing:

1) the metadata used in DSpace to describe the items (we're using Dublin
Core, but looking into different ways to take advantage of other metadata
standards, such as DDI, see the SIMILE project at
http://web.mit.edu/simile/www/)
2) the metadata about the data file in the form of the codebook, that for
us will be one of the files (in addition to the data file) associated w/a
given item in the system; ideally for social science data, this would be
marked up in the DDI XML standard, but it's unclear as of yet if/how this
would interface w/the main search system

But, as JQ said, sometimes the metadata is integrated w/the data (I believe
this sometimes happens more in scientific communities).  JQ made some other
important points, many with which we're still struggling, including how to
have the system understand the internal/external structures of data files
and how to encourage high-quality documentation of data.  And, as he
alluded, treatment of statistical data may be different from that for "raw"
data sets that yet require analysis.  Some of these will be managed at a
system-wide level, while others (such as requiring/standardizing
codebook-level metadata) are left up to our communities (e.g. departments)
who deposit to DSpace; so organizational issues are as important to
understand as are technical ones.

One question, what is qDC?  Is it a standard for describing scientific
data?  For those of us not familiar.

Let's keep up the interesting discussion!

Kate McNeill-Harman
Data Services Librarian, MIT