[Dspace-general] Experiences with policy making, quotas?

Gabriela Mircea gabriela.mircea at utoronto.ca
Mon Dec 15 15:03:06 EST 2003

  Hello Suzanne,

Below is what we have posted on our website in regards to storage space,
but it doesn't apply to early adopters. For early adopters we have a
special treatment, since space is not an issue yet, we give them
unlimited storage space until we officially  launch  our service.

"Storage Space:
The quotas listed below are proposed levels that will be reviewed and
set prior to the full T-Space release. Thereafter, the quotas for new
input will be reviewed on an annual basis at which time UofT Libraries
reserve the right to alter the quotas as dictated by demand and resource
availability. Communities with greater storage needs will be dealt with
on a case by case basis.
Annual Quotas for New Input (Guideline only)
Community Size
Small
Medium
Large
Number of items per year 300 600 1000
Number of submitters < 50 51 - 149 150
Average file size 1 MB 1 MB 1 MB
Annual storage limit approx. 3 GB 6 GB 10 GB

"

About policies .. We let the users decide the policies. We just explain
them their choices, and they decide. Most of our communities do not use
the workflow, and each community has just a few people allowed to submit.

I hope this helps.

Gabriela

Suzanne Bell wrote:

>Hello folks -
>
> A couple questions for those with more material up and more experience
>generally:
>
> - has anyone been in on their departments/communities' establishment
>of policies for DSpace? e.g., what have depts at other places done -
>given everyone rights to deposit, and trust they will "self-filter"?
>given everyone rights, but then used the workflow capability to have
>someone check all the deposits? what kind of "someone" - a faculty
>person? a dept. administrator?
>
> - have any of you established storage quotas for your communities? can
>you say anything about that - how much, how you decided?
>
> Thanks for any experiences you want to share!
>
> cheers from the snowy northeast... :)
>
> -Suzanne

Gabriela Mircea
Information Technology Services