[Crosstalk] Reminder: OEIT hosting ELI Fall Focus Session on Open Education, 9/14-9/15

Brandon Muramatsu mura at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 13 15:16:42 EDT 2011

Just a reminder.

We know a few folks who might be dropping by -- if you're interested please
let Peter Wilkins know (pwilkins at mit.edu) so we have a sense of who to
expect.

===

OEIT invites members of the MIT community interested in learning more about
Open Education to join us for the webcast of the ELI Fall Focus Session on
Open Education on Wednesday, September 14 and Thursday, September 15 (from
12-5:30 each day) in NE48-3027.

Agenda in PDF format<http://www.educause.edu/visuals/shared/events/eli117/FallFocusSessionProgram_9-2-11.pdf>

Topics include Open Education and the Obama administration, Open Textbooks,
Community Colleges and open education, and a number of other project
updates.

This will be an informal event, OEIT is offering up access to our
registration to others at MIT that might be interested. Peter Wilkins and
Brandon Muramatsu from OEIT will be sitting in on selected sessions, and are
happy to help individuals participate in sessions. We suggest you take a
look at the full
schedule<http://www.educause.edu/visuals/shared/events/eli117/FallFocusSessionProgram_9-2-11.pdf>
and
email Peter at pwilkins at mit.edu with the sessions you are interested in
attending.

===
Open Educational Content: Addressing Challenges and Seizing Opportunities

New technologies, software, and effective practices have increased access to
information while new policies and philosophies that explore openness have
accelerated that change. The growth of social networks and virtual
communities has transformed the learning environment into an interactive
place to share and build content and community. The pursuit of open content
prompts many questions: What are the opportunities and the challenges
associated with open educational content? What are the models for
sustaining, maintaining, and promoting open resources? How can we, as a
community of teaching and learning professionals, collaborate to realize the
full potential of open content? What evidence do we have that the trend
toward open content is having the impact we hope for?

Join us September 14 and 15 for "Open Educational Content: Addressing
Challenges and Seizing Opportunities," the ELI 2011 Online Fall Focus
Session, where we will engage the teaching and learning community in
exploring initial questions around open educational content. Tour
institutional examples of high- quality content development, maintenance
models, and delivery and organizational options that support adoption.
Through interactive sessions and various case studies, we will:

Define what open educational content is and is not

   - Examine the technology trends that, over the past 10 years, have begun
   to serve as enablers of open content (e.g., mobility, software, the cloud,
   lower technology costs)
   - Address models of authoring and participation in open content use
   (e.g., delivery and organization issues)
   - Review models for assessing the impact of open resources on student
   success