[ASA-Official] ASA Re-Recognition DUE 5/15 | Update email lists! | SOLC transition workshop 5/7 | GBM make-ups and minutes

Rebecca Mae Black rblack at mit.edu
Mon Apr 27 15:46:40 EDT 2020

Dear Student Group Leaders,

Please read the following announcements carefully:

-> [ACTION REQUIRED] Group re-recognition due 5/15/20 11:59 PM ET

-> Reminder: update your email lists and Engage roles

-> SOLC leadership transition workshop 5/7/20 5:30 PM ET

-> Reminder of GBM make-ups and minutes

//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~//

[ACTION REQUIRED] Group re-recognition responses due 5/15/20 11:59 PM ET

It is now time for the ASA’s annual re-recognition process. We use this to verify groups are active and have enough members to maintain their recognized status. By Massachusetts State Law, every group is required to abide by the Massachusetts hazing law. We also ask that groups reaffirm that they do not discriminate. Please pay close attention to the details below.

Groups recognized this semester, Club Sports, FSILG groups, and Panhellenic groups do NOT have to complete this process.

* Step 1: Group president (or other officer) fills out the Engage form found here: <https://engage.mit.edu/submitter/form/start/405023>.

-> The officer must confirm that they will not discriminate following MIT’s non-discrimination policy, agree to the MA state anti-hazing laws, and confirm and define their group membership, along with providing some logistical details.

-> If you are the president of multiple groups, you will need to complete the form multiple times. Only one response per group is required.

* Step 2: Distribute the following form to your members and have at least five MIT student members confirm their membership in your group by filling out this form: <https://engage.mit.edu/submitter/form/start/405022>.

-> Students that are members of multiple groups will need to fill out the form individually for each club.

-> If you are having difficulty filling out the form multiple times, try copying the link into a new tab, or using an incognito window.

-> If a group does not appear on the drop-down list, they do not need to have students confirm membership.

The deadline to complete these steps is Friday, May 15th at 11:59 PM ET. Clubs with late submissions will be penalized with fines unless late due to extenuating circumstances, and will be suspended and/or derecognized if the submission is not completed at all.

We will be posting a running update on group completion of re-recognition on our website: <http://asa.mit.edu/start-group/spring-re-recognition>. This will be updated every few days for the first week, and more frequently as we approach the deadline. If you have questions about the process, please reach out to <asa-groups at mit.edu<mailto:asa-groups at mit.edu>>.

//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~//

Reminder: update your email lists and Engage roles

As the academic year comes to a close, please make sure you add new officers to your official email address and update your Engage rosters with new officer permissions.  Every year, student groups are derecognized because incoming officers are not yet on their groups’ officer email lists and therefore do not receive ASA Official emails about the annual re-recognition process. It is the group’s responsibility to maintain their mailing lists and Engage rosters to ensure that they are receiving information distributed by the ASA. If you are an outgoing group president or treasurer, please update your email list and forward this ASA-Official to your new student leaders to ensure the above steps are completed.

//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~//

SOLC leadership transition workshop 5/7/20 5:30 PM ET

The following is an announcement from SOLE and the Student Organization Leadership Committee that was first distributed to student leaders via Engage:

As the academic year concludes, and as we pivot to supporting student organizations adjusting to current COVID-19 guidelines, we wanted to announce that we will be offering a workshop to provide support for your organization’s transition process. This virtual workshop will take place on May 7th, and will cover essential information, and guidance on how to transition successfully – such as:

-> How to transition leaders & COVID-19 considerations/implications

-> Financial account information, access, and budget planning

-> Updates on new policies, as well as discussions around best practices here at MIT

-> Resource guides, and documentation to hand over to new leaders

-> Roles and responsibilities, and an opportunity to network with other student leaders

-> Q&A with MIT staff

When: The virtual workshop will be taking place on Thursday, May 7 from 5:30PM to 7:00PM EST.

Who: All outgoing and incoming student leaders of ASA organizations, Club Sports, Edgerton Groups, and Residence Halls are strongly encouraged to attend.

Click here to RSVP: <https://engage.mit.edu/event/5705432>

Reminder of GBM make-ups and minutes

As a reminder, any groups who did not attend our general body meeting can find the meeting notes on our website: <http://asa.mit.edu/about-asa/meeting-notes>, which contains a link to check in so your group gets credit for making up the absence. We will not be fining groups for missing this GBM due to the nature of these times, but will still note any lack of attendance to keep in mind during re-recognition if part of a pattern of continued inactivity. This also contains a link to the ASA/SOLE/student group relationships statement that was discussed at the meeting, along with a form to collect any feedback on that document.

Please feel free to email <asa-exec at mit.edu> with any requests, questions, or other inquiries.

Sincerely,

The ASA Executive Board

<http://web.mit.edu/asa/about/board-members.html<https://owa.exchange.mit.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=yJZiAshjpbls53XEeUTtaeG7QyQZOrRww1ynwDsXIq7mEiCV5MHWCA..&URL=http%3a%2f%2fweb.mit.edu%2fasa%2fabout%2fboard-members.html>>