[ASA-Official] General Body Meeting (3/19/14); ASA Executive Board Elections (3/19/14); CPW Midway Application Open (due 3/28/2014)

Emily A. Moberg emoberg at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 5 10:35:33 EST 2014

Dear Student Group Leaders,

Please take note of the following announcements:

1. Required Attendance: General Body Meeting (3/19/14)

2. Executive Board Elections (3/19/14)

3. Elections Office Hours

4. CPW Midway Application Open (due 3/28/2014)

1. Required Attendance: General Body Meeting (3/19/14)

This is an announcement that the spring General Body Meeting will be held
on Wednesday, March 19, at 6:30pm in room 34-101. Dinner and check-in will
begin at 6:00pm; please arrive early so we may start on time. Every student
group is required to send a representative, with the exception of
individual FSILGs and club sports; those groups' governance groups must
still attend. Groups that do not send a representative will incur a $50
fine, and may be suspended or de-recognized if the group has repeatedly
missed GBMs.

Any member may check in for a group, and a member may check in for more
than one group. However, only students listed as president, treasurer,
group admin, or GBM proxy in the group's ASA Database entry may exercise
the group's vote. Furthermore, nobody may exercise the vote of more than
one group, and each group has only one vote even if they send multiple
representatives.

All GBM proxies from previous GBMs have been cleared, so if you would like
someone other than your President, Treasurer, or Group Admin to vote, you
must re-designate them in the Database.

The tentative agenda is:

1. Updates from the Board

2. Elections for President, Treasurer, Secretary, GMALs, UMALs, SMAL (in
that order)

If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at <asa-exec at mit.edu
>.

2. Executive Board Elections (3/19/14)

At the GBM, elections for the 2014-2015 ASA Executive Board will be held.
We will elect eight positions: President, Treasurer, Secretary, two
Graduate Members-at-Large (GMALs), two Undergraduate Members-at-Large
(UMALs), and one Student Member-at-Large (SMAL).

Together, Board members are responsible for:

- advocacy on behalf of student groups

- allocation of resources among student groups

- oversight of student group activity (including recognition and
derecognition)

- student group arbitration and support

- organization of events such as the Activities Midways

- writing code for the ASA database, which helps us better keep track of
student groups

- establishing and enforcing policies for student groups

Most Board members will pick a handful of these responsibilities that
interest them to focus on.

If you are interested in running for any of these positions, we encourage
you to contact us at <asa-elect at mit.edu> with any questions you might have,
or to learn more information about the Board's activities. If you would
like to submit a slide for your candidacy to be shown at the GBM, you may
email it to the same address.

3. Elections Office Hours

The current Exec Board will be holding open office hours to discuss
elections, and we welcome anyone interested in getting more involved with
the ASA to drop by our office, W20-401. They can be found on our calendar
here: <http://web.mit.edu/asa/about/office-hours.html>. Office hours often
come with cookies.

In addition, on Sunday 3/9/14 11am, several board members will be at Area
Four. We'll treat to you lunch and talk about what the Board does and what
different roles entail. Please join us! If you know you are planning to
come, please e-mail asa-secretary at mit.edu.

4. CPW Midway Application Open (due 3/28/2014)

The application for a booth at the CPW Activities Midway can be found at <
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16r3p9C9KQL2WoKzjjp6u7o3R35_di9dp7Gjywk9Isc0/viewform>.
Applications are due on March 28th at 11:59 PM EDT. Please fill these out
as soon as possible, however. The Midway will take place from 1-3PM on
Saturday, April 12, 2014, during CPW.

For more information, see <http://web.mit.edu/asa/publicity/midway.html> or
email us at <asa-midway at mit.edu>.

Please feel free to email <asa-exec at mit.edu> with any requests, questions,