[TCCM] TCC IAP reminder and also a lab plug by Adam

Adam Kuang aqkuang at mit.edu
Thu Jan 7 12:29:42 EST 2016

Good Afternoon,

Following the recent discussion about /Laudato Si/ and sustainability
that I have been trying to encourage within the Tech Catholic Community;
and the vibrant discussion we had at Theology on Tap. This being MIT and
all, I thought it might be a good idea to encourage a better
understanding of some of the cutting edge technologies out there that
are being studied here at MIT. IAP is a good time for this! I work on
fusion energy and my lab is scheduling a *TOUR* next week! I would like
to invite anybody interested to come have a look! Who said science and
religion aren't related!!! One of my Professors often describes the sun
as God's fusion reactor! Based on previous year's experience, the tours
normally get pretty full pretty quickly so don't miss out on this
opportunity!

A bit more info, I work on Alcator C-Mod one of three main tokamaks here
in the US. The Tokamak is seen as the current front runner for a working
fusion based power plant. It is nonetheless a very difficult piece of
machinery to work around and has many flaws. Below are two talks I would
recommend and there is a link to the full seminar series being offered.

Between the two, I would personally recommend/*SPARC: A Small Tokamak
for Changing Climates. */It will be a discussion about concepts to
achieve the smallest, fastest and cheapest route to building a net power
producing machine, to '/light a lightbuld/' or so to say and it is
immediately followed by the tour of the lab.

Don't forget too Fr. Dan's crash course Catholicism IAP Seminar -
/Catechism of the Catholic Church, Jan 25-29, 1-4pm! /A reminder will be
sent out closer to date.

Cheers,
Adam

***Monday, January 11, 2016, 11:00 AM
/*Magnetic Fusion Energy: A Vision for Getting There Sooner*/
Earl Marmar, Head of the MIT Alcator C-Mod Project
Room 1-190 (http://whereis.mit.edu/?q=1-190)

***Thursday, January 14, 2016, 11:00 AM***
/*SPARC: A Small Tokamak for Changing Climates*/
Brandon Sorbom, Zach Hartwig, Robert Mumgaard, and Daniel Brunner, MIT PSFC
NW17-218 (http://whereis.mit.edu/?q=NW17-218)

Followed by a tour of the Alcator C-Mod tokamak
Meet in NW17-218 at 12:45pm on Thurs., 14 Jan.

*CAD model of MIT's ARC tokamak conceptual reactor design

For a complete list of seminars and activities, please visit
http://www.psfc.mit.edu/events/series/iap-seminars