[TCCM] MIT Christian Journal

Seve Esparrago esparrs at mit.edu
Fri Jan 8 17:10:50 EST 2016

*TL;DR*
This message contains an overview of the progress made of the new MIT
Christian Journal and critical information of how you can get involved over
IAP and next semester. Deadlines for blurbs are this weekend!

TCC,

This past semester a group of about 10 students have been working to start
a Christian Journal on campus. This journal will join a consortium of
journals known as The Augustine Collective
<http://augustinecollective.org/augustine/about>, being present on over 15
colleges nationwide including at Harvard, Berkeley and Yale.The unifying
mission is to be a witness of the relevance of the Gospel of Jesus to all
of life and to put into action creative and critical thought in order to
create a culture where faith and reason are woven together in the pursuit
of truth.

We are very excited about printing our first journal issue next semester.
The standard protocol for these journals is to print and distribute 1-2
times per semester while possibly having a blog in addition. For this first
journal issue it was decided that we would not have one specific theme but
would instead try to encompass a couple of different themes and see the
direction it goes. Specifically as a group we discussed and decided that
for this first issue, we would open it up to many of the themes that we
believe will be foundational to the journal. Through experience we as a
team will learn how to better connect and develop specific themes but for
this first issue we thought it wise to present to campus a general
introduction of what the Journal will be. Specifically as a starting point
with this issue we want to explore and incorporate the following themes and
criteria.

   1.

   The relevance of Jesus to the student life.
   2.

   Translate theological truths to scientific terms and story.
   3.

   Have a balance and appreciation of both beauty and reason. Bringing out
   the uniqueness of all people, highlighting that within the unity of the
   Christian community there is a rich diversity of personalities and voices.
   For example, combine a treatise on the problem of evil with a personal
   story or poetry of God’s presence and provision during a time of suffering.
   4.

   Attack the difficult questions that both Christians and non Christians
   wrestle with in a “winsome” way from a position of humility and love. Not
   necessarily having to finish the argument but at least providing a starting
   point for continuing thought and discussion. For example including some
   historical analysis of the question at hand.
   5.

   Artwork and poetry
   6.

   Utilize and continue the rich Christian tradition of thought, writing
   and art. This would be done by incorporating or referencing works from our
   forefathers in the faith.
   7.

   Strengthen, challenge and encourage the Christian community while also
   considering a non Christian audience.

In order to make this journal a success we are hoping to have at least
10-20 submissions of writing, poetry and artwork. This is where you come
in. We would love to have you be a part of this incredible opportunity to
be a witness of Jesus to our campus. To do this, we are requiring that you
submit a short abstract that we will review and then work with you to
hopefully get your work into the printed issue.

*Dates and Deadlines: *

This Weekend: Submit a 2-6 sentence abstract of your journal submission
proposal. We will then get back to you by January 11th with feedback. If
you are able to submit this before Jan. 4th we will do our best to reply to
you sooner than Jan. 11th.

January 22nd: There is an Augustine Collective conference happening at Park
Street Church (Boston) on 1/22-24 in which there will be opportunity to
receive feedback from professional editors and people experienced in
Christian journals. Therefore, if you are able to submit to us a rough
draft of your submission before this time then we will be able to bring it
with us to this conference.

February 4th: Submit a rough draft, showing at least an outline of your
work including the sources you plan to use.

*Further dates will be decided during IAP. The Journal will be printed in
the second half of the semester.

Please email Erik Johnson (ej17 at mit.edu) with any questions. Also we are
looking for more people to help with the printed journal layout and design.
So please contact me if that is an interest to you.

In Christ,

Seve

Below are links to some Christian Journals along with a couple of example
articles in order to help you think about what topics or ideas you would
like to explore and work with. If you explore these websites I think you
will find a wide variety of submissions that in some way all point back to
the truth of Christ and what it means to follow Him in faith and action.

Ichthus <http://www.harvardichthus.org/> (Harvard equivalent Journal)

   1.

   Plato and Aristotle on Immortality
   <http://www.harvardichthus.org/2015/12/plato-and-aristotle-on-immortality/>
   2.

   Kyrios Christos: The Lordship of Jesus Christ Today
   <http://www.harvardichthus.org/2015/06/kyrios-christos-the-lordship-of-jesus-christ-today/>
   3.

   Why I Pray in Tongues
   <http://www.harvardichthus.org/2015/11/why-i-pray-in-tongues/>
   4.

   The Heart and the Mind
   <http://www.harvardichthus.org/2015/10/the-heart-and-the-mind/>

Firstthings <http://www.firstthings.com/> (Religion and Public Policy)

   1.

   Come, Lord Jesus
   <http://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2015/12/come-lord-jesus>
   2.

   Two Theories of Immigration
   <http://www.firstthings.com/article/2015/12/two-theories-of-immigration>
   3.

   Debt, Gift, and Sacrifice in the Hunger Games
   <http://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2012/04/debt-gift-and-sacrifice-in-the-hunger-games>
   4.

   The Power of Love
   <http://www.firstthings.com/article/2016/01/the-power-of-love>(Poetry)

Comment Magazine <https://www.cardus.ca/comment/> (Christian Social
Architecture)

   1.

   The Old Testament Holy War and Christian Morality
   <https://www.cardus.ca/comment/article/2991/the-old-testament-holy-war-and-christian-morality/>
   2.

   The Justice of Memory, the grace of forgetting: A conversation with
   Miroslav Volf
   <https://www.cardus.ca/comment/article/4739/the-justice-of-memory-the-grace-of-forgetting-a-conversation-with-miroslav-volf/>
   3.

   Contemporary Art and the Return of Religion
   <https://www.cardus.ca/comment/article/2093/contemporary-art-and-the-return-of-religion/>
   4.

   Building Better Markets for the Poor
   <https://www.cardus.ca/comment/article/4723/building-better-markets-for-the-poor/>

In Pursuit of truth <http://www.cslewis.org/journal/> (CS Lewis Foundation
Journal):

   1.

   Philosophical Perspectives on the Self and the Search for Meaning
   <http://www.cslewis.org/journal/special-issue-philosophical-perspectives-on-the-self-and-the-search-for-meaning/>
   2.

   The Human Search For the ‘Good Life
   <http://www.cslewis.org/journal/the-human-search-for-the-good-life/>