[TCCM] VT Atrocity

frclancy frclancy at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 18 11:11:06 EDT 2007

Dear Friends:

I know these past few days we all have been offering our prayers, love and
support to our brothers and sisters at Virginia Tech and their family members.
In particular we pray for those who have been wounded or lost their lives as a
result of this atrocity.

It is a terrible reminder to us all of the existence of evil in this world.
Because of the actions of one person dozens of lives ended and thousands of
lives will never be the same.  We must also keep in mind that there is a
tremendous amount of good in the world.  Stories have already emerged of the
heroism of individuals who died defending others and people of good will
throughout the world have reached out in love to the VT community to offer
support.

While events such as these inevitably leave us with feelings of shock, sadness,
anger and powerlessness, they also touch us in ways that make us want to take
some action to let our voices be heard and our presence felt.  Atrocities and
tragedies provide those of us who remain an opportunity to stand up in
solidarity with the victims and to express our support for them and their loved
ones.  It also provides us an opportunity to communicate that we are there for
each other as members of the MIT community.

Today at 4 p.m. there will be an interfaith service in the chapel.  We will
offer the 12:05 Mass on Friday and all the Masses this Sunday for the victims
of the Virginia Tech atrocity.  I urge you to attend these events as you are
able and to continue to pray for all those impacted by this crime.

We come from many different countries, backgrounds and schools, but today we are
all Virgina Tech Hokies.

Rev. Richard F. Clancy