[Tango-A] NA-E: NEW- MEET THE MUSIC SALON...

Ilene Marder imhmedia at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 14:41:10 EST 2007

  STARTING MARCH 11TH!!!!!!
at ESMERALDA’S TANGO & TAPAS, NYC …

MEET THE MUSIC… !
We love it….dance to it countless hours every week…hum it… can’t get it
out of our minds… la musica de tango!

* Have you ever danced to something and couldn’t wait to ask the dj what
it was?
* Do you find yourself repeatedly looking over the dj’s shoulder?
* Want to be a better dancer?
* Then this informal TANGO MUSIC SALON is for you!

Come meet Di Sarli, D’Arienzo, Canaro, Pugliese, Tanturi, Troilo,
Laurenz, Fresedo, Donato, Biagi
& all their friends – the great musicians and orchestras of tango - at
our new MEET THE MUSIC SALON ©- starting Sunday, March 11th and Sunday,
March 18th, in the BACK ROOM of Esmeralda’s Tango and Tapas at Session
73, NYC (73rd & 1st Ave.).

PLEASE NOTE: For those who want to just dance, dance, dance, fear not,
the music & dancing will continue as usual in the front area, starting
at 7:30p without interruption while these sessions go on in the back
room. Dancing in the Back Room will commence as usual when the Meet the
Music salon ends at 8:30p.

Introduced by DJ Ilene (De Woodstock) Marder and a lively group of
knowledgeable tango music collectors, dancers, DJ's and aficionados,
participants will explore key differences between major orchestras with
emphasis on how each orchestra’s unique style affects our dancing. We’ll
listen, discuss and dance as we delve deeper into the heart and soul of
tango and the unique, supremely talented musicians who left us this very
special legacy.

The views and participation of all who love the music are encouraged and
welcomed. We will discover new insights into this music we love and have
a great time doing it! So join in the discussion and explore the
infinite, beautiful and powerful world of la musica de tango.

WHEN: SUNDAYS, MARCH 11th & 18th … (if you love ‘em we’ll do these
salons at twice a month)
TIME: 7:30-8:30pm
WHERE: THE BACK ROOM, ESMERALDA’S TANGO & TAPAS MILONGA, SESSION 73,
(73rd St. & 1st Ave. NYC).
Dancing will continue as usual in the front room.
COST: Included in the $10. milonga admission ... then stay to enjoy
Esmeralda’s Milonga, hosted by the great Lucille Krasne and dance until
11:30 or later!!!!

TOPIC FOR SUNDAY MARCH 11TH: OVERVIEW
An overview of the styles of the 'major' orchestras- those used
regularly in milongas worldwide and acknowledged to be the best music
for social dancing i.e. Di Sarli, D’Arienzo, Canaro, Troilo, Fresedo,
Donato, Tanturi, Calo, Biagi, Laurenz, Pugliese… (and we will not forget
the contributions of De Caro, Lomuto, Carabelli...)
i.e. We will listen to signature tunes by each major orchestra to
recognize the qualities that make each distinctly unique... We'll
discuss, listen and dance to tracks of the same song covered by a
variety of orchestras, as a tool to discover often subtle differences in
orchestral style, arrangements and approach; We’ll also talk about our
‘personal favorites -’ why we like dancing to specific orchestras and
what it tells us about our own dancing.

TOPIC FOR SUNDAY MARCH 18TH: CHANGING IN TIME
Classic tango orchestra’s were vital, living, creative entities that
evolved over time. Through deep listening, discussion and dancing, we’ll
continue with our overview of the key orchestras and explore their
evolution over time, discovering how sound & tempo changed, particularly
over the ‘30’, ‘40’s and ‘50’s, by comparing recordings from the same
orchestra through those decades.

*** Each session will include background materials including where you
can find more detailed info on tango music. CD’s of recordings used for
illustration purposes will also be available. ~~

FOR MORE INFO: ILENE MARDER, WOODSTOCK TANGO - 845 246-1122,
IMHMEDIA at YAHOO.COM