[OWW-SC] page DOIs

Austin Che austin at csail.mit.edu
Tue Sep 18 15:11:45 EDT 2007

> What is the big cost associated with DOI's?  Is it registration of the
> numbers, hardware costs, or both?  Perhaps if we don't  automatically
> register every page, but only pages that people request  to be
> registered, we could keep the cost down.  Also, what  organization
> would we contact to possibly get DOI registration  donated to us?  I
> wouldn't mind pursuing this, as I think it is a  very important issue
> for us in terms of 'legitimizing' oww content.

    Here are the registration agencies.
    http://doi.org/registration_agencies.html

    I don't know anything else about DOIs. The 25K/year number was
    from Sri or Jason.
    Some lower numbers are on this page: http://www.medra.org/en/terms.htm

    I actually really don't understand the purpose of DOIs. As stated
    on that page, "If the access to the service is not renewed, the
    persistence of DOIs is guaranteed for at least 5 years after the
    payment of the last annual fee. In order to maintain the
    persistence of DOIs after ceasing the use of service, the payment
    of 0,1 euros for each document is required." so even DOIs aren't
    guarenteed to be permanent. And if the OWW site goes down, why
    would it matter if you could resolve a DOI anyway as the content
    is no longer there. Thus I see no technical benefits for linking
    to a OWW page via some indirect doi linking.

--
Austin Che           <austin at csail.mit.edu>          (617)253-5899