[OWW-SC] Genbank Accession Number question

Bill F bill.altmail at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 18:55:19 EDT 2007

Accession Numbers and NCBI Lookup for Biblio Extension to OpenWetWare

I'm looking into adding GenBank Accession Number lookup, a feature which has
been mentioned in the past. To do this, I need to know what the set of
information from GenBank would be that people would like to see available.

This is a cop of the the current comment on the Software/Features page:
(http://openwetware.org/wiki/OpenWetWare:Software/Feature_requests)

   - Initially, this might be just an extension to Biblio to allow
   referencing by accession number. Eventually, this could pull in info from
   databases.
   - See also
   http://blogs.nature.com/wp/nascent/2007/07/scientific_blogging_p<http://blogs.nature.com/wp/nascent/2007/07/scientific_blogging_plugins.html>

NCBI has an example of the full record they maintain:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Sitemap/samplerecord.html

Would a pointer to a similar page for a specific accession number be what's
needed?

The actual accession number for the example record is:

"U49845".

There's an additional version number on he next line:

"U49845.1 GI:1293613".

Does the version number generally get used in citations or is the Accession
Number adequate?

Using the Accession number, I can point the Biblio reference to the NCBI
page (similar to the example) for that particular number. Is the version
number also needed?

Thanks.

Bill Flanagan
OpenWetWare.org