[OWW-SC] websites with wiki wisdom

Mackenzie Cowell macowell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 18:54:41 EST 2007

Hi SC,

I was thinking of posting this in the SC blog, but I decided to just push
them out to you all via email instead.  I've come across three sites that
could be really valuable in imagining how to make OpenWetWare (and igem.org)
better.  Check them out:

UI-patterns.com is a categorized collection of 30 or so user interface
design patterns (recurring solutions to solve common problems) culled from
the best sites around the web.  It provides generalized descriptions and
links to actual instances of solutions to many common website tasks, such as
tags, WYSIWYG editors, autocomplete text areas, pagination, live previews,
table sorting, etc.   Go have a quick look and consider if any could make
OWW better.

Wikipatterns.com "is a toolbox of patterns & anti-patterns, and a guide to
the stages of wiki adoption."  They categorize and describe ~100 common
methods of optimizing how wikis work and are used, similar to
ui-patterns.com.  Here are some interesting entries: Set Window of
Discussion<http://www.wikipatterns.com/display/wikipatterns/Set+Window+of+Discussion>,
IdentityMatters<http://www.wikipatterns.com/display/wikipatterns/IdentityMatters>,
Built-in obsolescence<http://www.wikipatterns.com/display/wikipatterns/Built-in+obsolescence>,
BarnRaising <http://www.wikipatterns.com/display/wikipatterns/BarnRaising>.

Aboutus.org has nothing directly to do with running a wiki.  I'm including
it because it is a stunning example of how mediawiki can be re-themed to
look absolutely great and how the structure of mediawiki URLs can be simple
and logical; for instance, the aboutus.org entry on openwetware is simply
aboutus.org/openwetware.org.

I think these sites are great resources for helping us improve OWW.

mac

--
Mac Cowell
iGEM Coordinator