[OWW-SC] E. coli Wiki

John Cumbers johncumbers at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 16:29:23 EST 2007

so you get a unique id to log in with for openid,
e.g (https://johncumbers.myopenid.com/),

for oww, currently the equivalent is
http://openwetware.org/wiki/User:Johncumbers
which is a bit of a mouthful.

If we are serious about hosting openID's (which I think we should be) could
we look in purchasing www.oww.org from whoever owns it (worth $1000 maybe?)
so that we could have something shorter like:
http://johncumbers.oww.org

or maybe this, (without the new domain)
http://Johncumbers.openwetware.org/

not a big deal either way,
cheers,
John

On 3/5/07, Sri Kosuri <skosuri at mit.edu> wrote:

> From a technical point of view, would it be possible to offer to bio-wikis
> > a way to combine their own user management with the ability to also
> > authenticate against an OWW OpenID server ?
> > If it is possible, at the end of the day, the only thing you need to
> > convince them is that by default they would trust OWW users.
> >

> Yes,
>
> Currently, with the private wiki test, the admins of the private wikis can
> grant access to whichever OWW users they care to give access to.  It's
> already been implemented.
>
> We should definitely continue to approach other wikis, but there are many
> community annotation wikis that will pop up over the next year or so...
> E. coli -> as mentioned
> SGD (yeast) -> moving community efforts to wiki
> Myxo -> already have community annotation wiki
>
> So, we'll see where everything leads... but it seems like a good idea to
> be offering the service already.
>
> Sri
>
> On 3/5/07, Vincent Rouilly <vincent.rouilly at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > I also think it is a good idea. As an OWW user, it is true that I would
> > like to be able to contribute to other Bio-Wikis, without the hassle of
> > dealing with multiple accounts and registration processes.
> >
> > But, on the other hand, I am not too sure how happy bio-wikis would be
> > to give up on the control of  their own user community.
> >
> > From a technical point of view, would it be possible to offer to
> > bio-wikis a way to combine their own user management with the ability to
> > also authenticate against an OWW OpenID server ?
> > If it is possible, at the end of the day, the only thing you need to
> > convince them is that by default they would trust OWW users.
> >
> > Vincent.
> >

> > On 4 Mar 2007, at 22:08, Julius Lucks wrote:
> >
> > I think this is a great idea.
> > Julius
> >
> >  -----------------------------------------------------
> > http://openwetware.org/wiki/User:Lucks
> >

> > On Mar 4, 2007, at 5:01 PM, Austin Che wrote:
> >

> > There are some cool aspects... check out the gene pages here:
> > http://ecoliwiki.net/colipedia/index.php/lacI:On_One_Page
> >
> > Let me know if anyone wants access.
> >

> >     A random thought. As it seems like they don't have a general
> >     account management policy yet (or many users), maybe we can
> >     convince them to use OpenID and to allow all OWW users to log in?
> >
> >     And as it seems like different bio-wikis are popping up all over
> >     the place, we can see if we can make OWW a general wiki that can
> >     point people to more specific wikis. OWW can handle the general
> >     account management for all of these wikis (as we have to do that
> >     anyway) and OWW would also provide a large user base for these
> >     wikis that get started.
> >
> > --
> > Austin Che           <austin at csail.mit.edu>          (617)253-5899

John Cumbers,  Graduate Student in Computational Biology
Brown University, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Box G-W
80 Waterman Street, Providence, Rhode Island, 02912, USA
Tel USA: +1 401 523 8190,  Fax: +1 401 863-2166
UK to USA: 0207 617 7824