[Mitai-announce] MIT's first annual Hunger Banquet! By MIT Fighting World Hunger

Sarah Mountjoy mountjoy at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 13 01:17:23 EDT 2012

 MIT Fighting World Hunger
                         cordially invites you to the
                Annual MIT Hunger Banquet
*                                 **WHEN**: Saturday, March 17, 2012,
6:00pm - 7:30pm**
*
*                       WHERE**: MIT W20 Stratton Student Center, 3rd
floor, 20 Chimneys*
*                            All attendees are entered in our raffle for
restaurant gift cards*
*                              Ticket sales in lobby 10 from Monday to
Friday, $10 each*
*                    **Online Registration:** *
http://a3.acteva.com/orderbooking/bookEvent/A316560
*
*
*
*

All proceeds go to relieving* **famine in the Horn of Africa* via the World
Food Program and sponsoring *the MIT Soup Kitchen*.  A *Hunger** **Banquet* is
an experience in which you and other attendees are divided into three
groups that represent different socioeconomic statuses. The size and type
of food you are served reflects the typical meal a person of that economic
status would eat, and the number of people in each group reflects
the proportion of people in the world with each status.
*
*
*
*
*Featuring Keynote Speakers*:
*Hugh Joseph*
Assistant Professor, Tufts Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy
Dr. Joseph will address the contexts of hunger in our global
agricultural-food system.
*Sam Loewenberg*
Journalist and Nieman Global Health Reporting Fellow, Harvard University
Mr. Loewenburg will focus on how we missed the opportunity to mitigate the
crisis in the Horn of Africa through failing to support basic interventions
in water, sanitation, and nutrition. He will also discuss how the crisis is
beginning to repeat itself and how we can improve future efforts.
*Susan Murcott*
Senior Lecturer, MIT Civil and Environmental Engineering Department
Professor Murcott will discuss the role of water-related diseases from
improper water sanitation and hygiene, and how that contributes to
malnutrition, hunger and death of children. From her contacts that have
worked in the Horn of Africa, she will also bring recent news from the
field.

MIT Fighting World Hunger (MFWH) is a student-run organization dedicated to
raising awareness in MIT and the Boston communities about local and
global hunger
related issues.  Founded in 2011 as a chapter of the international
organization Universities Fighting World Hunger, MFWH is the only club on
campus dedicated solely to hunger-related issues. Throughout the year, our
club holds lecture panel events and fundraises for organizations that work
to alleviate hunger locally and internationally.  If you are interested in
learning more about our club, please contact us at mfwh_exec at mit.edu

Sarah Mountjoy | mountjoy at mit.edu
Massachusetts Institute of Technology | Class of 2014